English Studies: Literature and Culture is an interdisciplinary program concentrating on various forms of culture and cultural phenomena.
A B.A. in English Studies: Literature and Culture will equip the students with an ability to analyze broadly defined culture, along with its signs and symbols, as well as to develop essential skills to interpret cultural artifacts. In other words, the students will acquire ‘cultural literacy’, which will allow them to explore freely and respond more knowledgeably to the growing complexities of the modern world.
The students will be able to build their expertise in the culture of English-speaking countries which for cultural, economic and political reasons still maintain their dominant position and are considered influential actors in the international arena. Most importantly, the students will also have a chance to develop their linguistic competence and communication skills necessary for the exchange of ideas related to the socio-political and cultural realms of the countries in question.
Please be advised that:
- Programmes in English are fee-paying studies.
- The programme will open if the required number of students are admitted and acknowledge their intention to study.
Example of courses
- Culture-oriented English practice
- Literature in English: genres and conventions
- History of the British Isles, the USA and the Commonwealth
- Introduction to social and intercultural communication
- Philosophical foundations of English and American culture
- Introduction to mass and popular culture
- Selected issues in the history of English literature
- Introduction to media studies
- English competence at C1 level.
- Thorough knowledge of literature and culture of English-speaking countries.
- Skills of interpretation of socio-political phenomena of English speaking countries.
- Team work, leading and organizing debates in English on topics concerning literature and culture of English-speaking countries.
- cultural institutions
- media (traditional and social)
- travel agencies
- companies where one of the basic requirements is a very good command of English and a full understanding of the literary and cultural phenomena of English-speaking countries